It is getting to the point where I can’t stand being on Facebook any more. It seems I can’t be on there for more than 10 minutes without something like this popping up on my news-feed! I am beginning to wonder if I am the only sane/rational person in this world… Or am I the one who’s lost it?
You know exactly what I’m talking about (well you should if you’ve spent 5 minutes on the internet). I really shouldn’t have to go into great detail about this topic, so I’ll keep it simple — if nothing else, but for my own sanity — and get this rant over with.
“Dude, what are you ranting about?!”
The current trend is simple. Someone posts something (generally on facebook, but it happens on other sites too) and somewhere near the end of the statement it will say “Re-Post this if you agree” or “Like this if you agree” or some flavor of “re-post” and/or “like” in the form of a command… And without fail people cannot help themselves! People, millions of them, re-post and/or like these things, many of them re-posting the same (or very similar) things over and over in the span of days (or even on the same day)!
This is getting ridiculous!
This stuff comes in different shapes and forms. Here’s a quick list (shortened to topic/idea, because I have no patience for this):
- You’re not my friend unless you re-post/like this
- You’re not a Christian — I.E. you’re ashamed of Jesus — if you don’t re-post/like this
- *Some random percentage in the 80’s to 90’s range* % of people will not re-post this (and you don’t want to be one of THEM)
- Facebook/Myspace/Etc. is going to start charging you money so re-post to share with everyone
- Some other serious, but most likely not true, “fact(s)” that you must re-post or you’re heartless and part of the “system”
- Some catchy phrase or funny joke — but re-post it because I told you too (not because you liked it)
- Parody re-reposts (basically like above only mocking/making fun of the above)
- And etc. etc. etc….
I’ve seen this with text-messages too… I’m sure this still happens in emails too, but I think that may be dieing out. I know I’m not the only one who remembers the Urban Legend Chain-Emails form the 90’s right? Wow those were annoying! Oh yeah, and Bill Gates wants to give you money just for forwarding this email on to everyone of your contacts… my friend is a lawyer and verified this is true and legal (pft yeah right)…
I once tried to come up with a reasonable/logical conclusion as to why people constantly take part in this… But then I gave up because it was a pointless quest.
I have loved ones and friends who do this so I have been quite about it for a very long time, but I can’t take it any more! I am calling for a moratorium on this nonsense! Of course, no one is going to care about that or what I have to say… So instead here’s a quick poll for you, perhaps your answers can help me make sense of it all… oh yeah, and after you do the poll… since I know you can’t help yourselves… RE-POST THIS ON FACEBOOK / MYSPACE | and ETC! 😉